Friday, January 16, 2009

freedom (by Run Kid Run)

Have you heard that song? It's probably one of my favorite songs on the radio right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJSl8F3Lkzg
There is a line in the bridge that says:

I scream "Father, please!
I need rescuing,
I need You and You alone!"

When I was between the ages 6-13 I would play dress up with my siblings. Rebekah would usually be the damsel in distress, Andrew would be the quiet hero, and I would usually be the rebellious character. I'd be the girl that would jump on a horse and be right there with the "heros". I'd kill off bad guys and scoff defiantly at the enemy. I'd play the Princess that would sneak out of the castle to embark on some dangerous, forbidden journey that would lead to a heroic victory. Sometimes I would even play the boy character, just because I was better at it!! I liked being the hero! I liked saving the day! Of course, I would occasionally play the Princess who would be swept off her feet by the gallant Prince, but there was never something romantic about your 4-year old brother coming to "rescue" you.

As I grew older, something began to tug on my heartstings. I longed to be rescued. I got tired of being the hero and the tough girl. I longed to swoon in Someone's arms and be completely vulnerable and trusting. But our society has taught women (and girls) to be catty, quick-witted and sarcastic. Be quick to cut others down, then slow to build them up. It's suppose to be sexy and attractive. The world has taught us that we don't dare show our weakness or let our guard down for a second. Once our trust gets broken, our heart gets hardened so we "toughen up." We begin to think that we can take care of ourselves and we don't allow ourselves to ever be rescued.

But that is not the desire of our Prince. He desperately longs for us to raise our arms in surrender to Him and present every weakness and every need to Him in a pure, transparent way. He joys in sweeping us off our feet and carrying us to a peaceful place. He takes us out of the darkest places and "trades us a garment of praise for a spirit of heaviness." (Isaiah 61:3)

Father, please,
I need rescuing!
I need You and You alone....

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I like that..good word Amity!! Really spoke to my heart! Thanks for always writing such awesome things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't that so true. it took me a long time to realize how tough the world had made me.

    and even after you are transformed, it takes reminding to know that it's ok to be vulnerable and to let Him rescue us. But man, I'd have it no other way.

    ReplyDelete